FINALLY

Today I started my first Korean language class. Looks like we'll have to stay another year now.

The class consists of 3 Americans, 2 Australians, 1 Canadian, 1 Scotsman, and 1 Russian. The first class was a unique experience. Our teacher is bilingual in, not English/Korean, but Chinese/Korean. She would get confused and start speaking Chinese which I found thoroughly interesting, but many did not.

I knew all of the material being covered today, so I helped some other students make sense of the alphabet. I was glad to be able to help, but was still reserved as there is always an undercurrent of anti-American sentiment among other foreigners. 

Why anti-American?  The negotiation of the trade agreement is unpopular here amongst Koreans, and among foreigners, hating Americans is the cool thing to do. I cannot tell you how many times I've been yelled at by the Irish or English, in particular, before they even know my position on what they hate me for.  It's an exercise in patience on my part, and one of humility on theirs. In the end we often sort it out. I'm not afraid of criticism, American definitely earns it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Audrey,

Does this mean you can teach Alex KSL?

Love, Mom M.

Popular posts from this blog

Busan: Part Two by Alex

Learning to Cook