One Year On

So one year has come and gone and here we are still in Korea. This past year has been tumultuous, to say the least. Underwater trees, busted eardrums, vomiting in the park from food sickness or too much sun, or let’s just say it: alcohol. And that was only one trip. I suppose this retrospective should be something along the lines of “Things I’ve Learned” or maybe “What to Do and What not to Do in Korea” or some equally inane clichéd thing, no offense to those who enjoy those kinds of lists, I’m just not that way, generally, I hope. So then what is this going to be? Really short.

When I came to Korea I expected the language to come rather easy, I suppose if I had studied as hard the first five months as I did from August, I would have a much better handle on it. I know enough to get around, but there is a lot more, as if that isn’t obvious. My time at the place where I was employed was as turbulent as this year, and in some way could have been the cause of all the chaos. But that is hopefully water under the bridge.

We have certainly been grateful for all the assistance we have received in the past year and all the kindness, though some assistance was less appreciated, such as showing us how to have a night out in Korea. For my part I have really enjoyed the trips we have taken away from the city, especially to Damyang, and we plan on taking many more this year, as our taste for travel was piqued by the trip to Japan. Top on the list is Seoul, hopefully at the beginning of next month.

Other things that have been invaluable are Kumdo and Sam Kyeop Sal. It is amazing how easily a meal can relax us these days. Though Kumdo has been a wonderful experience over the past year, it has become somewhat of a drain on our time and energy. I guess I’m not as young as I used to be and five to seven days a week has become just too much. This new time will give us the opportunity to really see this country.

Well this year has been a lesson learned and hopefully will not be repeated. Here’s to a new year and a new view of Korea.

Comments

chi-jin said…
whoa! are you finished with Kumdo? I wasn't sure if I understood your blog correctly. Well, if so, so be it. You definitely had a cool experience with it the last year. Something you won't forget! Especially the cabbage truck incident! (That's what you should name your book about your Korean adventure! I expected credit for that one though! :) )
Unknown said…
No we aren't stopping Kumdo, we are just cutting back to three days a week.
Anonymous said…
I hope that you guys are able to go on what ever trips you want this year! It doesn't look like we'll be going on any vacations until later this year due to all of the wedding plans and such...hope to talk to you soon!!!
Anonymous said…
We're on the road to Seattle but finally had an opportunity to catch up on all your happenings/blog... Great to hear you will be seeing the sites in Korea.. You are right!! You are your father's daughter... But this need for stategic battle and history also comes from your Grand Father Neumann... No way could you escape it...!!!! Love to you and Alex!!!
Mom P.

Popular posts from this blog

Understated