버스 (bus)

The bus ride to Gwangju was quiet. Alex and I held hands, I leaned on his shoulder, and he talked about his day. Looking out the window, I saw a beautiful array of landscapes; mountains, hills, rice paddies, cherry blossoms, and a cemetery. The bus had satellite television, and the older folks were enjoying one of the many karaoke game shows on Korean TV.

I nodded off, and Alex wrote in his journal.

Two hours later the bus made a stop for everyone to stretch and grab a bite to eat. We walked through the little roadside mall to the bathrooms. Two little girls almost ran into me when entering the bathroom. They stopped, and looking up said, “wow” under their breath. It was really sweet. Children don’t often see western faces so up close in these parts Alex informed me later.

We ventured into a little mart and got snacks. Funny thing about Koreans, they aren’t so big on salt. We bought pretzels that were sweet and had sugar on them. My water was sweet, and we also bought a stick of meat (hopefully chicken or pork) marinated in a super-sweet BBQ sauce. I had canker sores from the food, and craved water that was just water.

The rest of the trip to Gwangju was quiet. The towns we passed began to light up with an array of neon. The red neon crucifixes adorning churches were among the most unique and recognizable for my travel-weary eyes.

Alex and I caught a cab from the bus station, and Alex navigated us home using broken Korean. I was already feeling at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understated

One Year On