Planes

Though relatively settled, insofar as general comfort while going about my daily tasks, one thing has thrown my nerves in this first week . . . the planes. Not airplanes as in 747’s flying into Seoul or prop planes bouncing along on smaller voyages. I'm referring to fighter jets.

The surrounding beauty can at times make you forget that this country is bordered by a hostile nation to the north, and though N. Korea’s missile test last week would suggest they are aiming for Japan, they are a unfriendly neighbor nonetheless. Imagine Canada if the NHL doesn’t have hockey on its feet after this lost season. Yeah, that hostile.

It can be oddly comforting to see these pilots fly their patterns every day, but when the pattern is low enough that the windows shake, the sound will move your eyes skyward just to be certain it’s not going to rain fire. I sat on a hillside today, and observed fighter jets flying over the city and bordering mountains. As dusk approaches, the setting sun highlights the jets’ ascension to higher altitudes, thus allowing Gwangju to sleep.

I recognize the sound of a military jet from random sightings during childhood and air shows on Chicago’s shoreline, while the citizens of this city recognize the reverberations from years of necessity.

Comments

grandma m said…
Audrey,
I thoroughly enjoy your blog site. I'm sorry I have not commented sooner. I newver really thought about "da plane." I remember when there were no flights for a while after 9/11 and occassionally a military aircraft would fly over head, it was startling. I can't imagine constant patrols. Also, I'm glad to hear you slept so well on the flight. Lastly, I want to say you write beautifully. I have a very clear picture of each day. I look forward to future entries.
Love, Mom

Popular posts from this blog

One Year On

Understated